Valve Leakage Test
The Milk Valve Leakage Test is used to determine the presence of
any vacuum leakage through the milk valve closing off the vacuum
to the milking cluster when the milking valve is in a closed
1. One standard Ping-Pong ball. Go
here for Ping-Pong balls.
1. During the milking process, go to any unused or unattached
milking unit and remove milk hose from milk valve.
2. Hold the Ping-Pong ball close to the closed milk valve.
3. The ball will snap to the outlet of the milk valve if any
vacuum leak exists.
4. If no leakage the ball will remain in hand or fall to the
This test should be performed on either a monthly or a weekly
interval depending on type of valve being used any leakage of
this valve during milking can predispose to mastitis conditions
Developed by: Western Dairies, Inc.
Research and Development - Lionel H. Brazil DVM
Doc's Corner is a contribution of Lionel H. Brazil, DVM
(1928-2007). Dr. Brazil offered dairy consultation
services worldwide for many years. His services covered the following areas: milking management, vacuum system evaluation; and all management procedures relating to mastitis control and SCC